Monday, February 14, 2011

From Shelly to Corey: Happy Valentine's Day!

It has been 10 years (in September) since I married the man that God blessed our family with. Never did I imagine that he was who God had intended for me, but it sure didn't take long to figure it out. See we had met about 1.5 years prior but I was in my 2nd year of college and wasn't interested in dating anyone. Some mutual friends introduced us when we were both at the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. Corey is 6 years my senior and he seemed so OLD to me! However, we still had quite a few of the same mutual friends who were into hot air ballooning and I would occasionally see Corey, but I thought nothing of it. Late in the Spring of 2000, I was creating a website for college-aged balloonists to gather.

Our mutual friends suggested that I contact Corey and get his feedback. So I did and we started chatting online. We went on our first date on April 1, 2000 and I still remember that day 11 years later. He was SO NERVOUS! Partly because he had to pick me up at someones house that intimidated him and partly because he hadn't dated for quite some time. But he was such a gentleman the whole time, it was a clear indication of what kind of a person he was. In the coming months, our feelings for each other developed quickly and we knew we were meant to be together. We moved in together in July and were engaged in November of the same year. Only 9 months later were married on Sept. 29, 2001.

Corey is the best father to our children that I could ever ask for. He cares for our children, can make them laugh when they are sad, makes it a point to give them hugs and kisses before he runs out the door to one of his 2 jobs, builds snow forts with them, has taught them how to ride their bikes, and does homework with them all the time.

As for being a husband, I am TRULY blessed. I have a husband who will do dishes, do laundry, take care of me when I am sick, and most importantly he listens to me. We have stood together on many major life decisions, including the one that makes this post possible, pursuing what God intended for our family and opening Elegant Mommy. Think about his position: 3 years ago, after Elegant Mommy had been open about 6 months, I approached my husband and said I think I need to leave my very well paying job in the corporate world and we'll learn how to live off of your modest salary with a family of 5.

And oh by the way, I know I'm the one who carries the health insurance, but that will now have to come out of your modest salary as well. In the end, he trusted God and trusted me and these last 3 years have been some of the most trying years, but BY FAR, the best years of our marriage.

Corey - I love you with all my heart. I am amazed at the blessings that God has blessed us with and am looking forward to the next 10 amazing years! What a blessing it is to share the next 10 years with you!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: