Friday, May 27, 2011

Healthy Dinners: Pizza Night

Picture of an authentic Neapolitan Pizza Margh...Image via WikipediaI really love homemade pizzas.  I love how customizable they are, I love that you can make mini pizzas so your kids can make their own, I love how speedy they are- I just adore them.  Even before going vegetarian as a family, I have ALWAYS been into fun veggie pizzas. 

Now, I'm not one of those who has a roll of pizza dough in my freezer at all times, some people do.  To tell you the truth- I am terrible at making any bread doughs.  So I do purchase it.  Nolan does make a pretty awesome multi-grain pizza dough but won't give up the recipe!  BOO!

I don't have any problem with store bought pizza dough, though I do usually roll it out with a bit of cornmeal.  I like the texture.  I also don't have a special pizza pan or pizza stone- I bake ours on a flipped over pizza pan.  As with a bunch of my other recipes- think of this like a template- add or subtract the things you prefer on your pizza.  What's better than homemade pizza and a Barbie movie with my fave little gal?  Not a whole lot!

Enjoy!

Spring Veggie Pizzas
Adapted from Everyday Food
Makes 4 personal pizzas


-1/2 jar (about 6 ounces) of marinated artichokes, drained well and chopped roughly
-1 lb of asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
-1 Cup of broccoli florets, cut into bite sized pieces
-1 pint of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
-1 lb of pizza dough, divided into 4 equal portions and rolled to preferred thinness of crust
-8 oz of low-fat mozzarella
-Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and Parmesan to personal preference



-Preheat oven 10 350 degrees with racks moved to upper and lower thirds.
-In a medium bowl, combine the veggies.
-On a large piece of parchment paper (makes clean up a snap!), brush pizza dough lightly with olive oil or the artichoke marinade, leaving about an inch around the edges.  Roll out dough to between 8-12 inches (depending on your preference for how thick of a crust you prefer).
-Spread veggies out on the pizzas after transferring the dough on the parchment paper to rimmed baking sheets.  Brush last inch with more marinade and season with salt and pepper.
-Bake pizzas 10 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through.
-Sprinkle pizzas with cheese and bake another 3-5 minutes, until the crust is deep golden and cheese is melted.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: