Thursday, November 10, 2011

A is for 'Answered Prayer' and 'Anything'


Answered Prayer

My husband(Brian) and I were thinking we were going to be done having children. 

He was more into this than I was-I wasn't completely sure I was done, but I submitted on the issue with the promise that God would bring a "miracle" into our lives. I doubted that at the time, of course. In Jan. 2009 my husband had a vasectomy. 

Imagine my surprise and delight when we found we were expecting in May of 2009! Unfortunately, before the end of May we miscarried. I was very depressed but after some time, I was learning to be content with the 4 blessings we had. 

In Nov. 2010 we were blessed enough to finish the basement (minor - some aesthetic things) and thus  moved all 4 children downstairs into 2 new bedrooms. Then at the end of December we found out we were expecting again!! This time it was different, and we now have a beautiful baby girl who was born Aug. 19th, 2011.

When I was pregnant, I felt I heard God tell me to breastfeed this child. I'm so shocked/surprised/happy that we've been doing this since she was born and she is now 2 1/2mo. old, turning 3mo. this month! She has a great latch and she likes to be nursed! I'm also so glad I am able to nurse her when I'm with her and pump when I'm not with her-so she is always getting breastmilk! It has been a wonderful blessing and as an added bonus it has not added any burden to our finances-which is really a great blessing in and of itself! 

So, there is our story of Sarah Faith and what we have to be thankful for! She is an answer to many a prayer(mainly from me!) and all the children seem to adore her right now-everyone has adjusted fairly well!

Blessings,
Melinda Roth

Anything

A few months ago, we had our two year old son start praying before our family meals.  It was so adorable to hear him pray and to be honest, it was one of those parenting moments when we thought “We got this one right!”  The prayers started simple. 

“Dear Jesus, thank you for our food.  Amen.” 

And over time they evolved to include thanks for other important things such as Mama, Daddy, and baby Carter.  I’m so glad we can teach our son to be thankful.  But now, in all his independence, he has begun to thank Jesus for practically everything he can see.

“Dear Jesus, thank you for light.  Thank you for couch.  Thank you for window.  Thank you for candle.  Thank you for shoes.  Thank you for chair.  Thank you for blanket.  Thank you for hair.  Thank you for cup.  Thank you for Charlie [the dog].  Thank you for hats.  Amen.”

Most nights mom, dad or the food aren’t even included in the prayer.  And I must admit I find myself becoming impatient, watching our food get cold as he prays for quite literally everything.  “Hey buddy, you’re taking this thankfulness thing a bit too far.”

Wait.  What?  Did I just say that?  Wasn’t it my goal to teach him to be thankful?  To be aware of our many blessings and say a prayer of thanks for them?  Oh to be humbled by your child!  Truth is … I need to be more thankful.  There are things in my life I take for granted and never express thanks for.  What would our house be like without windows?  Or lights?  I’m thankful for blankets too but I’ve never told Jesus that.  And so in my attempt to teach my son, he instead taught me something.  I can be thankful for anything.  And I should be thankful for everything.

What blessings in your life do you take for granted?

By Ashley Anderson

No comments: