Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Let Them Be Little

Tomorrow I am planning to post a letter to my son (similar to the one I wrote to my daughter earlier this month).

As I was thinking about what I wanted to say to him, and as I was looking through things online, I came across this video, and I hope it is encouraging to you as it has been to me...

As a mommy, yes, we want to focus on helping our children to grow up to be the best people they can be, and to reach for their goals, learn to be responsible adults, have compassion for everyone, etc, etc.

But, what about now?

I wonder if there is a direct correlation to just letting our kids be kids. Maybe they don't need to be pushed to do all the extra curricular activities or learn too much responsibility at an early age, and maybe we just need to let them play, laugh, be silly (and encouraging it by being silly with them!), run around outside, and get dirty.

As a mama who follows much of the attachment parenting philosophy, I know the value of letting the kids sleep with us. I know the value of breastfeeding past a year, I know the value of simply holding my babies when they need it. It is a challenge, though, as a work at home mom who has so many things to do most days to just stop and enjoy my kids. I have had to force myself to just do it. When they need me (for whatever it is), I am here for them - I mean seriously - that's the whole point of me being home, anyway. I know that they will be grown up all too soon, and I don't want to miss a second with them because I'm just "too busy".

At this age they don't need to worry about interrupting mommy when she's working. They don't need to worry about being quiet so mommy can think. Though they both have chores (so to speak) that we expect them to do when we ask them (things like helping to put their toys away and bringing their dishes to the sink), their days are definitely not filled with things they must do. We want their days to be about playing, creatively expressing and exploring, learning all about the world around them and the people in it, and resting when they need it. They are, after all, just kids (little kids, actually)...and I don't want to miss out on this very special time in their lives.

I choose to "Let Them Be Little" - how about you?


~Evie

No comments: