Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Childbirth Professional Day - Meet Carrie Caskey


1.      What is your Childbirth Profession?
I’m a long-time childbirth educator and doula, and also provide birth and newborn photography and have supported 20+ doula clients utilizing hypno-techniques during birth.  I’m also part of a WAHM business providing handcrafted items for moms and babies called MamaBaby Threads.

2.       Describe your profession and why someone would want to choose your profession for support in pregnancy and/or childbirth.
I provide information and support for pregnancy, labor, birth and postpartum in group classes and in private one-to-one settings.

3.       Why did you get started in your profession?
My husband, Mike and I experienced a very unexpected outcome with one of our pregnancies and afterwards I didn’t have anyone familiar to talk with about it, only strangers.  I knew that I wanted to be a familiar face for others facing pregnancy/birth complications, so within a year I was a certified childbirth educator and later a certified doula.  Over the years I’ve taught hundreds of moms and dads and have attended hundreds of births.  Each person and each birth is unique and special.  And sometimes, when there is an unexpected situation and a familiar face is needed, I’ve been so grateful that I’ve been able to be there to offer comfort and support.
  
4.       In detail, what is your personal childbirth philosophy?
I believe pregnancy, birth and early parenting are normal, natural, healthy and safe life events. I also believe that parents can best prepare for their baby’s arrival by obtaining early and regular prenatal care and attending an interactive class that includes current, evidence-based research that will help them navigate the many decisions ahead of them.  As an experienced educator and provider of labor support, my goal is to help parents have the best birth possible, no matter what the specific circumstances. I am comfortable supporting a very wide variety of birth options depending on each individual's informed choices for their own situation.  Helping new parents build a strong foundation for their own family, starting with the birth of a new baby, is a task I never get tired of!  I enjoy every aspect of my work with expectant moms and dads and eagerly look forward to meeting and assisting them as they explore their own "best choices" for birth and postpartum.

5.       If you could tell all pregnant women in the world something, what would it be?
“Birth is where every life story begins, so:
Trust
your body.
Have Patience in the normal, natural unfolding of labor.
Believe in yourself and your ability to birth your baby in
          the very best way for you both.”

6.       How long have you been in your profession? Are you certified? If yes, by who?
Teaching and attending births for 20+ years.  Lamaze International and DONA International.

7.       Do you have a business name? How can people contact you for pregnancy and childbirth support?
Birth and Family Life Center,  www.birthandfamilylife.com  --  call me at 507-347-3229.

8.       Where do you practice?
Sioux Falls and Brookings in South Dakota
Pipestone, Luverne, Marshall and Worthington in Minnesota

No comments: