Thursday, June 11, 2015

Childbirth Professionals - Meet Lisa of Ovo Birth Services


What is your childbirth profession?
I am a DONA certified birth doula and certified lactation counselor (CLC)

Describe your profession and why someone would want to choose your profession for support in pregnancy and/or childbirth
I provide birth and breastfeeding support to families during pregnancy, birth, and postpartum. This often includes discussions about what a mother might expect during labor, how her team can offer education and options, and available resources and research related to her interests. A doula provides continuous, non-medical physical and emotional support during labor, birth, and early postpartum. I also provide lactation education during the prenatal period and lactation support during the postpartum period.

Why did you get started in your profession?
I received my bachelor's degree in Human Development and Family studies in 2006 and worked closely with families in the disabilities and mental health communities. I began learning about birth and ways to support women when I became a mother in 2010. I was inspired by the women around me and wanted to provide that same type of support to other women.

In detail, what is your personal childbirth philosophy.
I like to laugh and I believe that's generally true for others. Our bodies respond well in labor when we are relaxed and positively focused. Intuition and connection play important roles in the relationships among women and I think it becomes a critical in the partnership with the mother and her birth team.

If you could tell all pregnant women in the world something, what would it be?
Women trust their bodies when they know their bodies. I strongly believe that a marriage between education and intuition will guide us faithfully in most situations.

How long have you been in your profession? Are you certified? If yes, by whom?
I have been formally working with families and children since 2003, supporting women with breastfeeding since 2013, and have specifically been supporting women in birth since 2014. I am a certified birth doula with DONA International and a Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC) with Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice (ALPP).

Do you have a business name> How can people contact you for pregnancy and childbirth support?
You can connect with me at Ovo Birth Services using the form at www.ovobirthservices.com or you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter using @ovobirth. I'd love to get together for tea!

Where do you practice?
I provide support in Sioux Falls, SD and surrounding areas including Brookings, Vermillion, and Luverne, MN.

No comments: